Saturday, June 24, 2006

Graduation was awesome! I saw so many people i went to school with. I was surprised to see a few there, as I thought they were a long way away from graduating. Anyway, it was great to say goodbye to everybody. I even got a few numbers to keep in touch with people.

The ceremony was pretty cool. I sat next to a Samoan friend of mine named Margaret. I was about deaf by the end of the thing though because she was so freakin' loud! She was glad she was there because it was kind of a last minute thing she decided to do. Halfway through she got a little bored though and decided to be a prankster. She had me crackin' up the whole time but left me with a desperate need for hearing aids. My favorite part of the ceremony was when Dr. Roberta Greene got up on stage. She is black and grew up in Charlotte, NC in the 40's when segregation was still strong. The was eloquent and truly enjoyed talking in front of a crowd. My favorite part of her speech was when she told us to be daring. Being a person that just recently started to include this trait in my list of characteristics, I really appreciated the thought. I think we need to step outside of our box on a daily basis. This is life. We can't experience life refusing invitations and not trying new things. It never hurts to ask people if they can accomodate our requests. There is a flip side to this though. We have to be willing to pay it forward when the ball is in our court.

All in all, it was a great experience. I truly felt like I earned it and it was a great moment to be able to share with others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home